28 January 2012

Day 28 -Fear in Verse 19

He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him, He will also hear their cry and will save them. Verse 19

Do we fear the Lord?  What does that look like?  
My brother –in-law, facing a brain tumor, spoke with me about this.  He told me he had a hard time with the concept of putting trust in a God of whom he was also supposed to be afraid.  He said, “How can I trust
in the goodness of a God who also expects me to fear Him?”

Good question.  It makes sense from a logical perspective.   Many wives and children know a man who can be both loving and fierce.   I guess there are some fierce women like that, too.   But this verse is so full of promise, as is the command to fear the Lord, Your God.   This verse even appears to set up a reciprocal arrangement.  Like so many biblical principles, if you sow you will reap, if you show mercy you will receive mercy, if you give it will be gathered back to you tenfold and more.

So what does the word “fear” mean here in David's psalm?  How can we make that relevant for us today?  If we don’t experience answers to our prayers, is there something missing?

Well, from an early age I was taught that ‘fear of the Lord’ is a bit different from fear we experience with regard to danger.  Proverbs 9:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

Here we are referring to reverential awe and wonder at the magnificence of God, the strength and power of God, that truly is something to be feared.  But, we also reverence and appreciate the amazing love of God, and the wisdom of God,  that moves us to feel compelled to please Him.  We never want to displease Him, not out of terror, but because of our having a great respect for not only His authority, but His WORTH.  

The VALUE of His relationship to us is absolutely PRICELESS.  To seek His wisdom, and His ways is truly supreme.  I found it interesting when I researched the word "fear" a bit more deeply, that it is a variation of the word "fere" which means companion or mate in very Old English.  Isn’t that interesting?  God is our Creator, and designed us for companionship with Him.  Jesus is our example of sacrificial love for His bride, the church!


Shall we then be afraid of God, terrified of His power, and in awe of His justice?   Well, yes, but with thanksgiving because the blood of Christ has already won our pardon and shown us that God is for us!  We have access to God by the sacrifice of Jesus.   But, to those who have not received this pardon, there is good reason to be terrified, indeed.

  In Matthew 10:28, Jesus said, “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.”  It has been made clear and there is no excuse.  Way back when God gave the law to Moses it was spelled out that man had been given a choice.  Most folks equate the name of Moses with the 10 Commandments.  While that is true, I really like the other words God spoke to Israel, and to us, through Moses.  

In Deuteronomy Chapter 30,( oh, go read it slowly and pray for wisdom to let it penetrate your heart!) the command is to turn to the Lord, follow His ways, with your whole heart and soul….conscious decision!   In verses 9 and 10 He makes a reciprocal deal:  If you follow My laws, and Serve me, I will prosper you and take care of your enemies for you.  Doesn’t that sound pretty good?

But, here is the clincher:  Verse 19 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live…For the Lord is your life, and He will give you many years in the land….”

We should be more terrified of life without God!   Paul expounds the benefits of life with God in   2Corinthians 6:16, “For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, ‘I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.’ ” He was quoting from the Old Testament prophet, Ezekiel.  


So many times, Jesus and the inspired writers of God’s Word, get to the heart of the matter:  God wants us to align ourselves with Him, enjoy the blessings and promises of His kingdom, and live a life that looks quite different to those who don’t yet have their connection with the Almighty. 

So, today, ask yourself, as I am asking myself, “Does my life look different because of Jesus?  Am I walking in the power of the Holy Spirit, in His strength, with hope and confidence in spite of hardship?  Have I pondered the Word in my heart and spoken that life-giving Word as my weapon against my circumstances? 

Yes, I fear the Lord.  I respect His awesome Worth.  I am in awe of how much He loves me and cares for me.  I rejoice that He gives me access to His power by His Word and the Holy Spirit.   There is no slavish dread in this relationship.  

I am confident of these things:  My God is a very present help in time of trouble.  Psalm 46:1   

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. You are with me. Psalm 23 

If God is for us, who can be against Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won't he also give us everything else we need? Romans 8:31-32


But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.   2 Corinthians 2:14 


Halleluia!  What a Savior!  Halleluia!  What a friend! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment