21 January 2012

Day 18 - More on Verse 15

The eyes of all wait upon you and you give them their meat in due season.  Verse 15

This translation of yesterday’s verse is a bit different, but the intent is the same.  We know that

God is the Giver of all good things.   The wild beasts rely on His provision every moment of every day.  We who are the children of God, born of water and the spirit, are also privileged to rely on His absolute care and provision for all our needs.

Why do I say “privileged”?   Before the foundations of the world, scripture says, God chose us in Christ, to be His adopted ones, and to live through faith in Him.   Ephesians 1:4   That is pretty awesome.  We have been on God’s mind for a very long time!


 In the Book of Acts 17:28 the author states a fundamental truth of the Kingdom of God:  “For it is in Him we live, and move, and have our being….we are His offspring.”    We were formed by Him and are continually sustained by Him.  I don’t think you can find a better way to express our constant dependence on God.  


He is the original fountain of life and continues to be our Nourishing Father.  Without Him, there is thirst, an empty, longing heart, restlessness.  I know a few restless hearts who have still not “tried Jesus”.  Do you?

Remember, Jesus said, “I am the True Vine, you are the branches; apart from Me you can do nothing.”  John 15:5   A healthy branch produces fruit and grows abundantly because it is vibrantly attached to the main source of life.  The illustration is clear, even as is the instruction that you will reap what you sow.  Where do we invest our lives?


While some may view spiritual exercises as obligations, or necessary duties to reserve a spot in heaven and win God’s approval, Jesus made it clear that He is the Source of Life more abundant than we can imagine!   He nearly begs us “Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”  Matthew 11:28   “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.”  John 14:6   "Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." Deut. 8:3 quoted by Jesus in both Matthew 4:4 and Luke 4:4!  Interesting….coincidence?


 What a privilege it is to pull up a chair and dig in at His banqueting table every day and grab some extra snacks throughout the day, too.   The abundant life comes from the peace, hope and assurance that only Christ can give.


Oh, I promise you, I’ve walked through the fire and I could write a book about the “God of the 11th Hour” showing up to meet our temporal needs.  I just praise God He wrote the Book to prove it, so I knew it, before things heated up!


Our God is trustworthy, halleluia!

Sweet Jesus, Lord of my heart, I worship You, the God of my salvation, the God who supplies my daily bread, the God who never lets me go!  Thank you for walking with me each day and whispering Your Holy Word into my mind to keep me on course and in perfect peace with You.  You provide for my body, mind and soul.   You are my refuge and protector in every storm of life.   You are more than enough for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment