21 January 2012

Day 21 - Verse 16

You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. Verse 16

Yesterday we meditated on the “open hand of God”, the free gift of forgiveness that sets

us free from guilt, shame, and yes, here it is, an old fashioned term, but true, eternal damnation!

That is why confessing our need for Christ, and making Him not only our Savior, but also the Lord of our lives is so important.


As human people we are searching for satisfaction, or fulfillment on many levels.    I think we all desire loving relationships, valuable connections within family and friends.  I think we all desire health in body, mind and emotions.  We all need adequate income to supply our basic needs.  These are the common denominators among our species.


The stumbling block comes when we have achieved or even exceeded the basic common denominators and are left wanting, unfulfilled, unhappy.   The other stumbling block comes when we can’t seem to achieve these things no matter how hard we try.   What is missing?  Where do I go next?  Is that all there is?


Maybe that last question is THE QUESTION….Is this life all that there is?


Desire is a broad word.  It is a heavy word.  It can be as light as a fleeting wish, or as consuming as an aching frustration.   I sometimes wonder if the human mind and heart are  designed to process such a wide gulf of desire.  I believe that on our own, it is difficult, even impossible, for the long term.  From my own experience, the going is much better with God in the mix.


Trust me, I will never say, “Just come to Jesus and everything will be all right.”  However, I will always say, “Come to Jesus and He will transform your heart to understand.”


Perhaps I am too philosophical today.   It is much easier to not think so hard.  But, God’s Word makes me think.  And when I start to think, and pray for His instruction, it makes me so very aware of how much deeper I need to go.  I am tired of being a surface feeder/dweller!


For me, early in my life, desire meant having a great career in the music industry.  It was my dream, formed in part by the reactions and encouragement of others.  It became my obsession that took me into pathways of good and bad, healthy and harmful, success and failure.  


Oh, the grace of God in protecting me and rescuing me from myself at times, even when He was at the bottom of my list!  How about you?

“You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.”   Psalm 16:11 


This life is fleeting, it is temporary.  We want to make the best of it.  We want it to count.  Just think on how fast the last 10 years went by!  What can we do with the next 10?

The desires of our hearts change as we age, and when we measure them in the temporal sense, the human sense.   Moving beyond the day to day life of 5 senses to “the great beyond” is my key desire now. 

Of course, I still have goals, dreams, and plans underway for the earthly life still ahead of me, as God deems to provide.    But, the ultimate desire which transforms my thinking is to be fully confident of my relationship with God through His Son, Jesus Christ.  He satisfies my heart, and guides my path, and guarantees my future.

At the end of the day, (oh, I hate trite sayings), but truly, when I lay my head down to sleep, I can honestly rejoice and celebrate the God moments I experienced.     If I should die before I wake, I am confident that I will run into the loving arms of my God for eternity. 


 I know that I have made an impact on someone else who is walking this journey of life.    I have been feeding my desire to know God, and He will continue to be faithful in helping me through whatever comes tomorrow.

My Unchanging God,  I bless Your Name today.  I bow before You, Your eternal knowledge and wisdom.  I submit to Your plan for my life and Your perfect will, whatever it may be.  It is my desire to honor You, to bring glory to You, to celebrate the story of my life which You are writing.  Let me be a blank page for You today.  You satisfy my desires completely.  Halleluia.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment