21 January 2012

Day 8

The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.   Verse 8

If you had any confusion over why we give praise

and thanks to God, here it is, clearly set before us by David who knew personally the goodness of God.  What a King we serve!

I went to prison today.  As I ministered in music and shared Psalm 145 with the inmates, I asked if anyone would like to do as David did:  tell, speak, shout out, exclaim why they were thankful to God and energetically giving Him praise.   I mean, there was some extremely great energy in there today!


At least 17 guys in two services stood up to say basically the same thing: "I am so thankful that God loves me, even though I’ve made mistakes.  I’m thanking Him for bringing me here, stopping me in my tracks, cuz I should’ve been dead.  He has given me a second chance to get to know Him and follow Him.   I know God is with me and I am a better man because of Him.  I know He’s watching over my family and I will be a better father and husband because the Lord is in my heart."


I could barely control my tears to witness the bold humility of men who have truly embraced their Savior!   The reality of it was thick.  I am so privileged to worship with them once a month.  They get it.  I once was blind, but now I see.  He has rescued my life from the pit of destruction.  Shout halleluia!


Oh, that we may never take for granted the great kindness of Our Lord or diminish the value of His Holy Spirit at work!


One young man got up and shared a rap tune he wrote teaching others of the goodness of God, the change in his own life and issuing a warning not to ignore the Savior of the World.  It was so awesome!


Another older man said he was so grateful that after all these years, after trying all sorts of paths to get along in life, and many incarcerations, he decided to give God a try!  Now, he is a testimony to his grown children, and he never stops talking about how happy  he is in the Lord. He said, “as long as I focus on serving others, I know I will be on God’s side.”    Good insight for us all.


Gracious, compassionate, slow to anger, rich in mercy.  Jesus personified these four attributes of God.   With compassion He looked upon those who came to Him for healing of all kinds of diseases of the body, mind and heart.  He still does.


Holy Lord, You are worthy of our praise.  Great is Your compassion and Your mercies are new every morning.  How blessed we are to get a fresh start with You every single day.  We thank You, O Lord Jesus Christ! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment